Thursday, May 27, 2010

Well, one of our new kits is missing. It's possible that I dropped it while doing the daily head count and didn't realize it. There are a lot of barn cats around here. It would've seemed like a tasty morsel to them. It's also possible (but less likely -  they're too young) that it was taken be a two-legged predator. It does seem strange that there is no carcass. The little creature is unable to live without it's mother for long, so I guess it doesn't matter. It's probably dead.

On a lighter note, I tried a new experiment today. We have a few cages on the ground with grass and other tasty and healthy greens growing up through the bottom. I placed five of Sapphire's bunnies (the other two   have already been separated, since they're old enough) inside for a couple of hours and they had all the greens they could eat! Although they escaped a couple of times (there was a nearly invisible hole toward the bottom that I hadn't seen), they did exceedingly well. Since they were used to getting fresh greens on a daily basis, this wasn't too much of a switch. They just got them even fresher than they were used to (fresh and growing, rather than freshly picked). I hope to soon pasture all of my meat rabbit this way. Let me tell you - they weren't hungry when they went back in with their mother later! What a great way to save  money on pellets and mow the lawn as well. It's also earth -  friendly!

No comments: