Monday, April 16, 2012

I finally got the tools, supplies and equipment I need to create my new sub-rabbitry -- only to discover I need to alter the building I was planning to put the rabbits in in order to use it. To say the least, I'm a bit disappointed. I knew the building was in poor shape, but I was hoping to be able to use it with no further time and expense.

Meanwhile, my does are waiting to give birth in the next week and two of them are in one slightly overcrowded hutch. They've always gotten along as they are mother and daughter, but I worry for the kits. The hutch didn't seem crowded until they started to expand with pregnancy. I may have to make emergency accomodations for the daughter. Obviously, this is frustrating, although it's just a slight setback really. Someday this will seem silly, but right now, I am a bit stressed.

My New Zealand doe is lossing weight nicely. I thought it was all in her dewlap, but a lot of it is in her stomach as well, and that's where I need it to be. I will try to get her a tiny bit on the lean side so that when I breed her, not only will she be more fertile, but her life will be out of danger due to difficulties that often happen when a severely overweight rabbit gives birth. Her next breeding will be her next chance. I cannot support a doe which cannot or will not produce offspring. I will try her with my American Chinchilla buck next time, to see if she simply does not like my New Zealand buck. Right now, it's unimportant that the kits are purebreds as they will just be meat animals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually wanted to develop a remark to be able to express gratitude to you for these awesome points you are writing on this site. My considerable internet look up has finally been paid with brilliant information to write about with my company. I would express that many of us website visitors are definitely lucky to be in a useful place with many special individuals with beneficial secrets. I feel rather happy to have come across the webpage and look forward to plenty of more exciting moments reading here. Thanks again for all the details.

Anonymous said...

Appreciation pro this article. Present are categorically tips participating in at this juncture to I choice benefit.