Saturday, February 25, 2012

I will probably end up having to cull (kill) one of my American Chinchilla kits. I looked at them today to check their eyes and one is much thinner than the rest, although I wouldn't consider it underweight just yet. While its siblings have bulging little bellies, this one almost looks like a miniature adult in proportion, which is not how it should look at two weeks. It should be quite round yet. It has an angular face and isn't very attractive, while the rest are round and bunny-like. Its body isn't so thin I think it's suffering quite yet, but I don't think it's eating much either. I asked some other rabbit breeders for advice and they told me to do just what I would have suggested anybody else would do. I cannot allow the poor thing to suffer. I just don't know how to explain this to my partner, who hates having animals put down for any reason.

I was hoping the entire litter would do well, but it must have been too much to hope for.

No comments: