Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's cold in Pennsylvania. It's very, very cold in Pennsylvania. The temperature dipped to 16 degrees last night, although I heard it was supposed to rise into the 20s today. When I checked the rabbits this morning, the bowls were frozen solid. I was glad we started using bowls, because the bottles were always a nightmare. I would keep them on the furnace register vent all day and they still wouldn't be thawed by that night. Since we only had two bottles/rabbit, that meant I had to thaw them under hot running water several times a day. With the bowls, we can simply dump the ice (or thaw the dishes until the ice falls out on its own with very hot water upside down) and refill with fresh.

My Karma may be expecting. I am so excited about my (I hope) very first litter of American Chinchillas! Somehow, I have the feeling the breeding took, so I'm already antsy, lol, even though I won't get to see them for nearly a month. Of course, Merlin is going to get a carrot instead of a cigar. I'll be very unhappy if I don't get some babies. Especially since I agreed to trade the young does from the litter with another breeder. I would love to have another Karma!

This is a terrible time of year to breed rabbits, but I'm really hoping to increase the numbers of these beautiful, sweet and completely lovable rare-breed rabbits. The only bad thing is that I'll have to eat some of them to keep the best genetics alive.

Actually, the eating part isn't so bad, just the killing. I hate killing my standoffish and sometimes mean meat rabbits, if these babies are anything like their parents, I may have to pet them out to cull them.

Although, more rabbit dinners are never a bad thing. :)

No comments: