Thursday, June 10, 2010

We may lose the whole Silver Fox Rabbit litter. Since it's a first litter, it's not entirely unexpected. Sad, but not unexpected. Ophilia, the mother, is an aggressive rabbit. She was even before she had these kits. Now she's biting. She's always been treated gently, she's just always frightened.
The kits are not developed enough. They should have fur by now, but they don't. We can't help them, though, because of the doe's incredible amount of aggression. You wouldn't think a rabbit could be so violent! In fact, I have a giant bruise from the last bite (through my thick sweatshirt!)
I was hoping for the best for this litter, especially since Silver Foxes are so rare. I don't think she's producing enough milk. That or the cold is killing them off.  I'm just not sure. It's been chilly here at night, but the kits are also thinner than we care to see them. We can't feed the kits because we can't get to them without being bitten. I only hope one or two survive. We need to reestablish the breed.

No comments: