Wednesday, June 20, 2012

There are a lot of things I used to believe about rabbits, even as late as within the last year, perpetuated to me by pet owners, show folk and even other breeders. Things that weren't entirely true, such as "a wet rabbit is a dead rabbit (I'm sure the rabbits I've been irrigating lately wish I still believed it)" or that even a tiny trace of lettuce or cabbage are deadly. While rooted in the truth, these beliefs are nonetheless erronious.

It makes me wonder about these breeders who've been raising rabbits for more than ten years but refused to learn anything or accept any new ideas in that time. Are they really more knowledgable? I would have to say no because the mentality that your rabbits haven't died yet because of what you are doing (use as an example, a breeder I know whom lost her entire herd due to Pasturella (the dreaded "snuffles"), but continues to try to treat the infected rabbits with antibiotics - a treatment guaranteed not to work. Still, she claims Paturella can be treated in such a way. According to veterinarians it cannot. She's also been seen taking obviously ill rabbits to shows and bragging that they weren't disqualified.)

My point is, you can never stop learning when you're a rabbit raiser. Keep your heart and mind open and by this time next year, you may see a hundred percent inprovement in your methods. Don't be afraid to try new things, just try them slowly so that you can see how they work before you invest too much time, energy, and money into any new method. Good luck!

No comments: